Posted by Andy Xhignesse on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 @ 06:04 AM
This? Or this!
They (that would be the all wise and knowing ‘they’) say that web traffic is the currency of the web so the logical extension of the metaphor is that more is better! (this assumes that you like having more currency!) It’s true because if you increase the traffic to your company’s website, you will have more opportunities to engage your visitor with your product or service. One of the powerful results of a well executed inbound marketing program is that you will gain website traffic, not only that, you will gain better targeted site traffic. In surveys of companies who’ve used Hubspot’s inbound marketing platform, the results achieved have been remarkable. Sites that had lower monthly traffic volumes typically experienced traffic growth measured in 100’s of % and those with higher initial traffic volumes have experienced growth in the 10-50% range after using inbound marketing for six months or less. Of course, to grow website traffic is not the only goal you should have, you want to convert them into leads as well, and we’ll be talking about that in an upcoming post. But, your company can improve website traffic and achieve similar results with a well planned and executed inbound marketing program.
Without further delay, here are:
7 Inbound Marketing Tactics to Gain Website Traffic
- Ensure that your existing website content has gone through an SEO (search engine optimization) process- It’s remarkable how many websites are created without completing basic SEO actions.
- Implement a new content development strategy– This critical piece of the puzzle can be a stumbling block but do whatever is necessary to come up with a plan that will allow your company to add new and relevant content to your website. One of the best strategies is to commit to blogging and the addition of a new information page, both in a scheduled manner. For example you may add one blog post per week and one new page per month. In both cases more is better!
- Begin your keyword research- It’s widely recognized that while keywords don’t impact SEO the way they once did, but they still form the foundation on which you will create your company’s content. Understanding what your target audience is looking for from a keyword perspective is critical to building the content that is relevant to them. Look to your competitors websites for this information as well, if they’re getting traffic, you may as well create content around keywords that work for them!
- Implement an ongoing SEO process and strategy- This doesn’t have to be complex, but as your new content is being created, ensure that it goes through a rigorous basic SEO process so that it will be more easily found by the search engines. Your SEO program should include at a minimum, on-page structure SEO, internal site linking, and a strategy for inbound link development.
- Participate in social media networks- Start slowly! Too many companies make the mistake of trying to go all out in every network out there and quickly find themselves overwhelmed. Pick your first network after doing some research to find out which of the social media platforms best serves your industry vertical and begin your engagement slowly. It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon!
- Participate in your industry’s online conversation- It’s important that you be seen as one of the ‘players’ in your market so find other websites that have blog posts where you can add a comment. Just saying "Hi, thanks for the post." Doesn’t really do much to elevate your company’s profile. If you’re going to add a comment, think about adding something you genuinely believe adds value to the post.
- Re-purpose your content- Over time you will increase the amount of content you have and you can re-purpose that content to reach new potential prospects.
There you have it, 6 tactics that will definitely grow website traffic. There’s a fair amount of work involved, but again nothing that is complex, it just takes effort. There are many ways to skin this cat. Everything that we’ve outlined here can be done inhouse with individual tools to help you get the work done. One of the reasons we love the Hubspot platform is that it consolidates all those tools into one simple to use set of tools. Our experience at Inbound Marketing Experts is a testimony in itself. Our website was launched back in late April 2010. When we started we had no traffic, no presence, and the first Alexa ranking we saw was in the 30 millionth range! This month we will probably have somewhere between 800 and 1000 visitors, and our latest Alexa ranking has us at 3,567,614 (just copied this in fresh from Alexa.com). This isn’t magic, we are living by our words. As we’ve said previously, inbound marketing is not an event it’s a process with powerful outcomes, we’re really excited by the outcomes we’ve had…are you happy with yours?
We’re at the edge of the future!